The Assessment Services Department would like to bring your attention to a new assessment tool developed in partnership between ICMA and IPMA-HR for the purpose of selecting police and fire chiefs. Read on for more information.
Police and fire chiefs are two of the most visible members of a manager’s executive team. Selecting the right individuals for the job is critical to providing the leadership necessary to make your community a safer and better place to live. Hiring the wrong people can damage staff morale and public trust and negatively impact your government’s agenda and your career. Ensure a successful selection by using an advanced process designed to maximize a positive outcome.
Chief Selection Advantage: A Data-Driven Selection Process
Chief Selection Advantage is a research-based assessment tool that you help your jurisdiction choose the right candidate for your next police or fire chief. This authoritative and data-driven process was designed in partnership by the experts at the International City/County Management Association (ICMA) and the International Public Management Association for Human Resources (IPMA-HR).
We don’t screen resumes. And we don’t make the selection for you. Instead, Chief Selection Advantage empowers managers, HR directors, and city council members with critical information needed to choose the most qualified candidate.
Using the ICMA/IPMA-HR Chief Selection Advantage will help your city or county:
- Recruit your next police or fire chief by proving you with research-based assessment tools and a framework for the selection process
- Identify the characteristics of a successful chief by pre-screening candidates against established core competencies
- Determine whether candidates are capable of handling the unique issues facing your community.
- Incorporate the buy-in of employees, elected officials, and citizens.
- Streamline the selection process, saving you time and resources.
- Allow your HR staff to successfully conduct chief recruitments in-house, giving you greater control over the process and keeping recruitment costs down.
- Gain information to build an effective partnership between you and your new chief.
Don’t make a mistake in hiring your next police or fire chief. Visit ICMA for more information.